Hopu 15 Logistics
Hopu Ka Lewa's mission has been to provide a fun, intimate co-ed tournament, with emphases placed on spirit and getting to know each other. One of the ways we do this is by shortening rounds of play, in order to fit as many games as possible into each team's schedule. This gives more opportunities for people to meet and enjoy each other. We encourage CHEERING all the time! Boat Racing all the time! Costumes, panty points, games, spirit awards, sideline music; all are highly encouraged and appreciated.
Please prepare yourself: expect to have an awesome weekend of Ultimate, camaraderie, and fun in the sun. The Hopu Ka Lewa Committee has some awesome plans to facilitate “Spirit” out of each participant (whether they like it or not), so bring it!
2013 Hopu High School 15th Reunion!
For fourteen years, players have gorged themselves in the Ultimate Frisbee ecstasy only Hopu Ka Lewa could provide. However, now is not the time to let out your waste bands and let yourself go. Cause this rock is getting hot and all of your Hopu Ohana is going to be dressed to impress at Prom on Saturday night in Waimanalo, Oahu. Show your school spirit as we celebrate the 15th Hopu Ka Lewa!!!! (we had 2 one year, if you're wondering)
How Your Team Contributes to the Theme
- Pep Rally
- It is traditional that each team brings a cheer for the “Opening Ceremonies” held on Friday night. The cheer can be funny, crude, cheesy, brutally honest, shameless, a parody, a musical, a dance; the possibilities are endless. This is an opportunity for you and your team to introduce yourselves to everyone and show us your school spirit. To keep things moving along, all cheers will be strictly limited to 60 seconds. Notable cheers from Hopu Ka Lewa past can be viewed on the Hopu Facebook page.
- We ask that each team come to the tournament with their very own high school flag to represent their clique. The fields you play at will have long metal poles to hang and display your team’s colors proudly. The poles will accommodate mounting your team flag (sleeve over pole) (haha: mounting pole).
- Post-Ultimate Spirit Game
- We try to promote intra-team mingling throughout this weekend. To help facilitate this, we ask each team to bring a team original "spirit game", that involve as many players of each team as possible. There are no limitations to what the game should be. But it is recommended that the game is a representation of your team, where you are from, or the personality your team is trying to portray here at Hopu Ka Lewa.
- Hopu High Weekend Spirit Game
- What sets Hopu apart from all other tournaments is that the fun doesn’t stop before, during, or after games. This year, everyone in attendance will compete in a team winner take all year book challenge. There are a list of challenges that you as a team must complete along with meeting a member of every single other team and having them “sign” the team year book.
Schedule of Events
Friday, Nov. 8th, 2013 Agenda
- The party starts FRIDAY night (~4pm)
- Opening ceremonies, dinner, beer, spirit circle, team cheers, acrobat troupe, captains meeting, JUST BE THERE! This is a great time to meet and greet.
- Pep Rally
- Starts promptly at 8pm
- Weekend Check-in
- First thing you need to do when you get to the field is check-in, which begins at 4pm and will remain open until about ~8pm. You will be receiving your “backpack”, (disc, cup, fork, napkin, shwag, etc.) which will come in handy over the weekend. If you don’t plan on getting to the field until Saturday do not worry. Saturday check-in will be open from 6am-8am, during breakfast.
Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013 Agenda
- Pool play games
- Run from 8am – 5pm
- Saturday night is the Prom
- Proper attire is appreciated at dinner. Yes, people do get into costume, and you will be in the minority if you don’t. You are welcome to casually arrive at your convince. Dress to impress: represent your team and your interpretation of the theme. Let your imagination be your guide.
- Boat Race Tournament
- Saturday evening, be ready to get 7 on the line. For some, this is the only trophy that matters. See your captain for official boat race tournament rules.
- DJ Globerson
- Will be laying down tracks so prepare to rip up the dance floor!
Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013 Agenda
- Bracket play
- Starts at 9am. Teams will be split into two brackets based on Saturday’s records (Championship and Beer).
- Championship Finals
- End around ~4pm
- Taiko Drummers
- After dinner, prepare to be entertained by a world-class Taiko troupe. Taiko Drumming is a Japanese art form in which several performers play huge drums while acting out a choreographed dance.
- Awards Ceremony
- Follows Taiko.
- Etherial Monkey
- Born and raised on Ultimate spirit this band will keep you dancing into Monday.
Monday, Nov. 11, 2013 Agenda
- Hat Draw
- The party moves to the beach and the Ultimate gets wet and wild. We all get to relax a little while spending the day playing a mini tourney on one of the most beautiful beaches in Oahu.
Camping and Showers
We have free campsites at Sherwoods (aka Waimanalo Bay Beach Park) right across the street and at Bellows Air Force Base. Sorry, no camping at the fields. You may notice that there is limited space at the field with a few tents, BUT this area is reserved for Hopu committee members, HULA Hall of Famers, and selected outstanding volunteers. Please don’t camp at the field without the written consent of the Tournament Director.
Showers are located at either campsite location. A dip in the ocean isn't bad either.
We are doing our utmost to be a GREEN tournament. One way we do this is by having you use your disc as your plate, to minimize the amount of rubbish we produce. We provide liners for your discs to keep food off your plastic, so they don't get too yucky.
You will also receive a reusable napkin, spork, and cup to use all weekend (replacements are for sale if misplaced, we will NOT provide you more than one, so don't lose it). If you don't like eating off your disc then please BRING YOUR OWN REUSABLE DISH AND CUTLERY.
We will also have on-site recycling. Please help us sort things out by placing items in the appropriate bin.
If you registered to volunteer, we won't ask a lot, but we are going to take you up on it. We will do our best to make it really easy for you to know how you can help.
Chris Truffa (Volunteer Coordinator) will send you an email about what tasks we could use your help with and remind you at check-in. We truly appreciate everyone’s help and it’s really the volunteers that make the tournament run smoothly.
If you do not want to volunteer, that's cool too. Sit back and enjoy the tournament. Please do us one small, but BIG, favor and clean up after yourselves. If we all keep track of our own scraps, discs, rubbish and field trash, it's a lot nicer for everyone, and our beautiful island. THANK YOU!
Everyone must register online including those who paid with the team bid deposit. This is where we find out about your contact info, diet preferences, and team associations.
Post-Hopu Ka Lewa Hat Draw
Looking to do some island hopping? Try Kohala Coast on the Big Island (fly into Kona) the following weekend (Nov. 16-17th). A great reason to extended your vacation, to include a very relaxed ultimate atmosphere and another weekend of parties.
Check it out at: http://hopukalewa.com/hatdraw.php
Other Need To Know Stuff
- We provide Breakfast (6:30 – 8:00 a.m.) and Dinner (6 – 8 p.m.) but NO Lunch
- However, we do have yummy lunch vendors at the fields so bring some $$ for lunch.
- Savage Ultimate
- Will be joining us again this year! Stop by their tent to pick up some official Hopu Ka Lewa 2013 merchandise. I’ve seen them and they are freaking sweet.
- Car ride sharing
- Save some cash and reduce your footprint. Hopu Ka Lewa has made it that much easier for you to organize car rides from the airport and feel good about yourself. Go to erideshare.com and enter our password “HopuRides”. Create a username and password to post.
To get updated news on all the gossip about Hopu High. Check us out on Facebook.
Programs and game schedules will be emailed, as we get closer to the tournament date.
Have a good day, Class Dismissed
P.S. Feel free to email me any questions